One of our most popular recipes on our blog is Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken. It’s so simple to throw in a crock pot and let it slowly cook all day, then shred it up and serve for dinner.
I love the simplicity of the recipe, but wanted to try a version that didn’t use condensed soups. This recipe is made from scratch but is still very creamy and delicious. I threw in some extra vegetables, but my kids didn’t even notice.
This soup is a good-for-you comfort food that you can feel great about feeding your family!
Why is it called King Ranch Chicken?
No one is exactly sure why it’s called King Ranch Chicken, but this Tex-Mex recipe has been around for years!
It’s rumored that its name comes from King Ranch, one of the largest ranches in the United States, although no one has actually found a connection between the dish and the ranch (it’s kind of funny that a famous chicken recipe would come from a cattle ranch!).
It may be a mystery, but this chicken dish has been a favorite in Texas cookbooks and lunchrooms for a long time.
The basic ingredients in King Ranch Chicken are shredded chicken, grated cheese, tortilla chips, diced tomatoes with chiles, a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and a can of condensed cream of chicken soup – all the makings of a delicious casserole!
While this soup may not be an authentic version of King Ranch Chicken, it’s flavor is spot on.
Ingredients in King Ranch Chicken Soup
- butter, flour, chicken broth and garlic (we are using this to make it creamy instead of condensed soups
- chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper for flavor
- chicken breasts
- diced tomatoes with chilies (RoTel tomatoes)
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- sharp cheddar cheese
- Serve with tortilla chips and fresh cilantro if desired!
How to make King Ranch Chicken Soup in the Slow Cooker
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the garlic and whisk for about a minute. Whisk in the flour for one more minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and then whisk consistently for a few minutes until creamy and smooth. Mix in the seasonings and set the creamy sauce aside.
- Add the chicken, jalapeno, bell peppers, and onion to the slow cooker. Pour the sauce on top. Cook on low for 4-6 hours (don’t overcook the chicken).
- Shred the chicken, stir in the cheese, and let the cheese melt for about 15 minutes in the slow cooker.
- Stir and serve with tortilla chips and fresh cilantro on top, if desired.
If you love easy and delicious instant pot soup recipes, be sure to try our delicious Instant pot creamy chicken enchilada soup. It’s absolutely amazing!
CHoosing the right slow cooker
For this recipe, you’ll need a good slow cooker.
Here are a few suggestions to take into consideration before selecting yours.
How big is your family? If you have a large family, we’d recommend looking at an 8 quart slow cooker so you can make sure your recipes fit all in one.
We love this 8 quart slow cooker. You can find it in a 6 quart size too!
What are your slow cooker needs? Do you need a self timer while you’re gone at the office all day? Or do the simple high and low settings work for your lifestyle?
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
What to serve with King Ranch Chicken Soup
- Twisted Cheese Breadsticks
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Seven Layer Green Salad
- Spring Salad with Homemade Dressing
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?
If you need another easy slow cooker soup, you are definitely going to want to try this one!