Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe

Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie is comfort food at it's finest. It's a great dish all year round. It's so easy to make. No need to mess with a pie crust. It's a recipe the whole family loves and it makes a lot. SO DELICIOUS.

This month Six Sisters’ Stuff has teamed up with The Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and their May is for Miracles campaign.
Each year, over 17 million kids are treated at a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital.
In 2010, my sweet little Mason was one of those kids . . .
My mom was bathing my 8-month-old son Mason and after she finished, she had me come over and look at his neck. It looked like he had swallowed a golf ball and it was sticking out the side of his neck.
(The lump is on the left side in this picture- it was hard to get him to hold still so I could take a good picture of it! He was a chubby baby, so he didn’t have much of a neck! Ha ha!)

We watched it for about an hour and felt that it was getting larger right before our eyes. We rushed him to the emergency room and after an CT scan, they determined that there was something large growing in his neck. It was growing at such a rapid rate that it was going to block off his airways completely if we didn’t do something to stop it immediately. The hospital we were at was not equipped for caring for such a small child, so they put us in an ambulance and rushed us to the nearest children’s hospital, which was Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah (about 35 minutes away from where we were).

We arrived at Primary Children’s around 2 am. They didn’t waste a minute starting many tests, medicines, and blood work. My little Mason was tied up to so many machines and wires; he only had about a 2-foot radius in which he could move around and spent many long hours in this crib.

A couple of hours after surgery. Thank goodness for binkies!
The amazing doctors and nurses ruled out cancer and other scary things, but discovered that it was a lymph node in his neck that had filled with a Staph infection. They were hoping to shrink the lump on his neck with strong antibiotics, but after about 8 days of medicine (and 8 long days in the hospital), they decided that they would have to surgically remove the lump.
Hangin’ out with Dad in matching head gear.
After a short and successful surgery, the lump was gone and two days later, Mason was able to return home.
We had to change Mason’s bandages a few times a day and he had to wear this lovely headpiece for a couple days afterward. Because of the wonderful staff at Primary Children’s Medical Center (which is one of the 170 children’s hospitals in the Children’s Miracle Network), our little boy is alive and well today. I will forever be grateful for them!
Although we were only in the hospital for about 10 days, they were a very long 10 days. I was so tired of eating at the hospital cafeteria and fast food . . . it was so nice to come home and be able to eat delicious home-cooked meals (many friends and family members brought us some of the yummiest food I have ever had!).  
You don’t realize how much you take a home-cooked meal for granted until you can’t have it!
In honor of May is for Miracles and the Children’s Miracle Network, I wanted to share one of my favorite “comfort food” recipes. This recipe for Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie is easy to throw together and would be the perfect meal to make for a family or friend who could use a little comfort in their life. 🙂

Click here to find your Children’s Miracle Network Hospital.
Click here to meet a Miracle child representing your state.

You’ll be surprised at how easy this chicken pot pie is to make. The Buttery soft crust is on top, with the veggies and chicken on the bottom.

It makes a lot so you’ll be able to enjoy all of the leftovers! We loved having it for lunch the next day.

how to make Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie

First, you need to check out the simple ingredients in this pot pie. We love all of the fresh veggies.

Basic and simple ingredients that you usually have on hand, and then you end up with one amazing dinner.

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
  • Layer the cooked chicken, sliced carrots, peas, and potatoes in the bottom of the dish.

  •  Sprinkle cheese on top.
  • In another bowl mix the soup, broth, and milk in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour soup mixture over veggies.

  • Stir the biscuit mix and milk together in a bowl. Pour the batter over the casserole.
  • Lightly sprinkle garlic powder over the soup mixture.
  • Drizzle the melted butter over the biscuit topping and bake until golden brown. About 30-40 minutes.

  • Cool for a few minutes and then serve warm. This can easily be eaten as leftovers. To store leftovers, cover with foil and place in the fridge.

Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!

Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.

This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.




here are more of our favorite comfort food recipes

  1. Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu
  2. Parmesan Sesame Chicken Strips
  3. Mom’s Slow Cooker Chili
  4. Instant Pot Italian Beef Roast
  5. Ham and Swiss Poppy Seed Sliders

Serves: 12

Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe

15 minPrep Time

40 minCook Time

55 minTotal Time

Save RecipeSave Recipe


  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
  • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots (or frozen carrots)
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 3 potatoes (cooked and cut into bite-size pieces)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 (10.5 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups Bisquick biscuit mix
  • 1 cup milk
  • Garlic Powder, to taste
  • 1/4 cup butter (melted)


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  3. Layer the chicken, carrots, peas, and potatoes in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
  4. In another bowl mix together 1 1/2 cans of the soup, broth, and milk. (If you want it creamier, add both cans of soup) Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Pour over the layers in the baking dish.
  6. Stir together the biscuit mix and milk and pour over the casserole.
  7. Lightly sprinkle garlic powder on top of the biscuit mixture.
  8. Drizzle butter over the biscuit topping and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.



2114 cal


54 g


333 g


89 g
Click Here For Full Nutrition, Exchanges, and My Plate Info

Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram |Facebook |Pinterest | YouTube

Have you seen our YouTube channel?


Watch how easy it is to make Chicken Cream Cheese Taquitos.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Comment on this Recipe

77 Responses to “Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe”

  1. here in nebraska we're a tight knit state and the small towns are even tighter, a young boy from lincoln (not to far from where i'm at) right now is suffering from cancer and is trying to meet with jason aldean. jason posted this wonderful video on his twitter and is trying to find a way to meet tyson. people have been raising money for tyson by buying bracelets and just recently he was sent to disney world! such a wonderful little boy will have some of his last wishes come through hopefully! here are some links with more info about the little celebrity!!
  2. At three weeks old my son was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis. A stomach condition that can only be corrected by surgery. Thanks to Primary Childrens hospital our son was on the road to recovery quickly. We love the Childrens Miracle Network. True miracles come from it.
  3. I have 2 cousins who I treat more like a niece and nephew, they are both elementary school aged now, but both were born premature, and spent months in the hospital at the start of their lives. They are true miracles because today they are strong, healthy, active, normal children. It's a miracle to watch anyone you love overcome obstacles with their health and heal from illnesses, but to watch a child is a true miracle.

    btw, your potpie sounds delish! I make a similar potpie, minus the cheese and I use pie crust instead of biscuit dough, I'll definitely have to give your way a try!
  4. My little monkey spent the first 23 days of his life in the NICU at a CMN hospital. Their quick actions saved his life. It was an incredibaly difficult first month and the doctors and staff at the hospital were amazing. He is doing great now and you can't even tell he had such a rough start.
  5. Isn't it amazing to read stories and to hear how much we have all gone through and how awesome everyone is for continuing to kick butt for their children!
    In 2010 as well my little guy had a few days in the hospital and I'm happy to say he's been healthy ever since but we never did find out what happened to him. But the important part is he's okay today!
    I'm glad you shared this story with us...lots and lots and lots of tough kiddo's and parents out there! Glad you are teaming to support this cause! =0)

    Blessings (from the middle child of 6, LOL) ~Leah
  6. When my son was born, he was in our room for 13 hours before the nurse took his vitals and discovered he had very labored breathing. He was rushed to NICU and given an IV, feeding tube, and put in an oxygen tent. We found out he had a small hole in his lung. We were very lucky to only spend a few days in the NICU and he didn't even require surgery for it to heal. But his first clothes were provided by the Children's Miracle Network hospital and I spent many hours after I was discharged (and he wasn't) in the waiting room for the NICU - which was provided by CMN. Thankful for them!!
  7. My daughter was bornwith bowed legs and so when she was 18 months had to go to Primary Childrens to have screws and plates put in her legs. When she was about 2 she had the srews removed, but still has the plates in. We love Dr Stevens up there!
  8. My husband was recently treated at a children's hospital - yep, you read that right! He was born with a heart defect that is rare, and most people don't "make it" to adulthood with it - so he continues to see pediatric doctors - and they had to do a heart reconstruction surgery on him 5 years ago - The doctors and nurses at Lucille Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford CA are amazing - And we met several amazing kids, too! The day after my hubby's surgery, his surgeon worked to separate conjoined twins who were joined at their hearts..... Those kids had been flown in from Argentina just to see this doctor, and be at this particular hospital. I am blessed by people who take kids' health so seriously.
  9. My daughter was treated at Rainbow Babies and Children's hospital in Cleveland during the summer of 2010. She was 6 and fell off our backyard monkey bars She suffered a compound fracture of both bones in her right forearm. The ambulance took us to our local hospital. Thy quickly determined they could not handle that level of pediatric injury and we were transported to Rainbow. We spent 3 days inpatient and she had surgery by the head of pediatric orthopedics, Dr. Thompson. So wonderful!! Over the course of the summer, she had many more follow ups and 2 more outpatient surgeries at Rainbow. It was our home-away-from-home for the summer of 2010 and all the staff were just amazing. Inpatient and outpatient, doctors, med students, nurses. PCA's, housekeeping, everyone was just wonderful and made things so much easier. The CHild Life Specialist, Jessi, made her so comfortable each time and they had so many great programs for kids. Our experience wasn't nearly as traumatic or lengthy as others, but we appreciate everything they did for our daughter and feel blessed to live so close to such great care!!!
  10. My youngest baby actually had to go to Primary Children's when he was 3 months old. I noticed his belly button looked different one day, took him to the doctors who told me to go straight to the hospital. Over the next 12 hours it started getting bigger and redder. Long story short, he had to have surgery but everything turned out fine. So grateful for that hospital!
  11. Yes I do know a child who has struggled with a heart defect condition and she has been in an out of hospitals since she was born..its heartbreaking, for sure, and i see my own kids and realize how fortunate we have been and never compalining!
    Thanks for a super giveaway!
    My email: anashct1 [at] yahoo [dot] com
  12. Our dear friends were surpised when their 3rd baby girl was born and something was obviously wrong with her heart. She has Tetrology of Fallot resulting in 4 separate heart conditions!!! After a 21 day stay at the hospital and open heart surgery at day 10, they were able to bring their sweet Sophia back home. Fast forward to almost 3years later and she has had one other open heart surgery, and an additional stint put in last fall.
    Aside from being on numerous medications and slower start to mobility and normalcy, she is the most spunky and precious little girl!!! Has been talking since about 8 months, loves to dance, and is a little fireball. We thank God for Children's Mercy in Kansas City as they fought for this little girls life:)
  13. Three years ago, my then 7 year old daughter, was involved in a freak accident in our bathroom that caused a fireball and burned her face, neck, hands and ears. We were taken by ambulance to Riley Hospital for Children (Indianapolis)where she and I stayed for 10 days. I was able to be with her the whole time for which I am extremely grateful. She had surgery receiving skin grafts on her hands and her neck. I am so grateful to Dr. Coleman and the other surgeons and nurses there. We go back and visit the nurses in the burn unit when she goes to clinic appointments. I wish that I could do more to show my grattitude to the people that work at Riley. I do have a Riley plate on my car which gives a donation to them once a year. My sweet daughter is a miracle because although she has scars on her hands, and neck and the BACK of her ears - to look at her face straight on you would never now and she has full function of her hands!!
  14. My daughter & her husband were expecting their 1st child in Jan. ?12. During a routine prenatal ultrasound in her 1st trimester, the doctors detected a possible health issue with the baby. It was recommended that she go to the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) for further testing. It was determined that there was a strong possibility her unborn son would be born with Esophageal Artesia. She was strongly encouraged to remain under their care throughout her pregnancy & give birth at CHOP. Because of this condition, my daughter would probably deliver early, so every two weeks, she made the 1 ½ hr. trip to CHOP so they could monitor her & the baby. In mid Nov. ?11, while she & I were traveling to NYC to visit her sister in the hospital, my daughter began experiencing labor pains. After calling CHOP & since we were going to a hospital, her doctor recommended that the doctors there check her. Once there, it was determined that she was indeed in labor & two days later, at the Morgan Stanley Children?s Hospital, part of Columbian Presbyterian, on 11/17/11 , our beautiful little baby Mason was born weighing 4 lbs. 8 oz. He was two months premature & was born on the 1st ever National Preemie Day. As soon as he was born he was quickly whisked away to be evaluated by the doctors. It was determined that although Mason did not have Esophageal Artesia as originally thought, he did have a condition called Intestinal Malrotation & required surgery that day. Due to surgery & being a preemie, Mason was placed on a respirator. The surgery went well & Mason was placed in the NICU unit to recover. Several weeks passed & the doctors were unable to wean Mason from the breathing tube. Further testing revealed that he had a problem with his diaphragm that was not allowing him to breathe on his own. A month in the NICU passed & Mason?s breathing still hadn?t improved. The doctors stated they were unsure if there was anything they could do to help him. My daughter & her husband made the decision to have Mason transferred to CHOP for a 2nd opinion. Mason arrived at the CHOP NICU in Jan. & remains there still. We are hoping he?ll be able to come home soon. Since arriving at CHOP our sweet little boy has undergone many tests & procedures. In Feb., Mason had a 5 hour surgery to repair many tummy issues he had & has since recovered beautifully. Though his breathing has improved, a narrowing of a nerve in his neck area has limited his diaphragm?s ability to function correctly. In March it was determined necessary for Mason to receive a tracheostomy from which he has recovered really well. All the doctors, nurses, & staff at CHOP have been outstanding. CHOP?s motto??Hope lives here? is most certainly true. We will never be able to thank them enough for all they have done for Mason. Their compassion, support, encouragement, professionalism & expertise is 2nd to none. And thru it all, our precious baby boy Mason has never ceased to amaze us with his resilience & determination to beat any odds the doctors may send his way. In his short life thus far, Mason has had to endure more than most of us experience in a lifetime. Even after all he?s been thru, not many a moment goes by without Mason having a smile on his face. He?s always laughing & is just a happy, happy little boy. One look at that adorable little face & you can?t help but believe that life sure is a continuing series of thousands of tiny miracles. We don?t know what the future holds, so we take one day at a time. What we do know is that every day we experience miracle after miracle with Mason.
    He truly, truly is AMAZING!!!!
    I?m sure you experienced many miracles with your own son Mason. He is such a handsome little boy!
    I hope and pray all is well with him. God bless him & keep him safe & healthy always!
  15. My son Joseph is our little miracle baby. I had preeclampsia while pregnant with him. I had an appointment about 2 weeks before he was due for a non stress test. They discovered that I was in labor and that with every contraction I was having, Joey's heart rate would go down. They sent me to the hospital and I had an ultrasound there. Joey was very stressed in my stomach and there was no fluid around him. They rushed me into the OR and did an emergency C-section. He seemed fine when he came out but when I started to feed him he turned blue. They rushed him into the NICU and discovered that he was in respiratory distress and had swallowed a lot of mechonium.(sp) My placenta also was dried up like a prune and they had determined that he had probably lived without my placenta for a month and should have been still born. He was in the NICU for 11 days on a respirator and he had to have 2 blood transfusions and other things done. He definitely was our miracle baby. After he got out we had to return to the children's hospital every week for more tests and he had to haveone more transfusion and finally about 6 weeks later (of returning to the hospital or nurses coming to our house) they said that he was okay and that we could go on living our lives. He is now 7 but unfortunately has had to go to a children's hospital many times for little things here and there. When he was 1 he had to have his tonsils and adenoids removed and had to stay in the hospital and he has had to have a few surgeries since then for various things. He is still with us though and am eternally grateful for that!
  16. My son, TJ, had the exact same thing happen to him when he was 10 months old. I was 19 and terrified that my sweet son would slip through my fingers. The doctors were able to operate in time and were able to save the gland. He is 21 now and after all these years I still remember the time at the hospital, my fears, and my joy.
  17. Yes, a friend of mine who has had infertility issues (as I have)finally had a viable pregnancy after many years of struggling. She became pregnant with triplets after IVF. One child has autism, and two have cerebral palsy.

    runningmatey at hotmail dot com
  18. WOW! So glad that they were able to figure it out and he's ok.

    My sister was born premature - my mother developed pregnancy-related liver failure at was life-flighted to Mayo in Rochester MN during a blizzard in January, 1978. She was delived by c-section and barely weighed 3 lbs. They transferred her to St. Mary's hospital, where she was in intensive care for 3 weeks. My mother was also put in intensive care and it was 2 weeks before she was well enough to go to St. Mary's to see my sister. It was the first time in documented medical history in ND and MN that the mother and child both survived this. My sister is now a mother of 2 herself and is very healthy. :)
  19. My husbands cousin's boy! Rio. They live in Idaho. On a cold morning in January 2012, on the way to school, they hit black ice and slid into a brick fence pilar. The cap of the pilar hit in rear window where Rio's head was. Rio is one of 2 brothers in the back seat. It broke the glass and his scull. Then his head hit the brother on the other side of the back seat. Both were unconcious. Rio's left side of his scull was immediately removed because of the intense and rapid swelling. He was then rushed by life flight to Primary Childrens Hospital. He was the most critical patient in the hospital for a week. His dad stayed with us here in SLC, while Rio wavered between life and death, and durig his ultimate recovery. He left that amazing hospital after 2 months with only some speach problems. Unbelivable! His speach will be back to normal soon.
  20. My daughter was born 7 weeks premature. She ended up being 18 1/2 inches long and 5 lbs. She even cried when she was born. I never been so happy in my life to hear such a sound when we were told she would probably not breathe when she came out and that we could plan on her being in the NICU for 7 weeks. She was only in for 8 days. When she was 6 months old she was a chunky baby that showed no signs of being premature. She is now 5 1/2.

    Andrea D.
    [email protected]
  21. Wow what an amazing story. My nephew (4 years old) got samonela while in Mexico from accidentally drinking some water. He was hospitalized for 9 months and almost died 3 times due to it taking over his body. He fought his way through and is still trying to recover fully. Children have such will and fight in them. He was such an inspiration he was always positive and happy though he was always in pain and hurting inside.

    [email protected]
  22. One of my dearest friends has a little girl, Kimber, who has Cystic Fibrosis. Evertime we get to enjoy time with her, I find it a miracle! She spent many weeks in Primary's. We just celebrated her and all who suffer from CF last weekend doing the Great Strides walk. Its a great cause, and all those CF sweetheart are miracles and heroes!
  23. Two years ago I got the opportunity to become part of Dance Marathon, a group that raises money for Children's Miracle Network, at my school, Augustana College, in Sioux Falls, SD. This group is pretty new to the college, and over the last two years we have raised over $25,000 for CMN. Every year at our big event I love hearing the stories and interacting with the miracle families. The children are such little spitfires and don't let anything stop them. It is great to see the pictures from when they were born to to see them now. You could never tell that they were a 14oz baby or had cancer. Life is a fabulous thing to celebrate and it touches my heart every year when I get to see the miracle children and how their personalities have developed. It is truly a blessing and a honor to be part of Augustana Dance Marathon and to support Children's Miracle Network.
  24. My little niece, Erin, spent almost over six months at Primary Childrens Hospital with leukemia. She is in remission now and doing great! PCH is the best!! I also spent some time there when I was little. I loved getting Popsicles whenever I wanted them. :)
  25. My little niece, Erin, spent almost over six months at Primary Childrens Hospital with leukemia. She is in remission now and doing great! PCH is the best!! I also spent some time there when I was little. I loved getting Popsicles whenever I wanted them. :)
  26. My son was at Primary Children's just about 2 months ago - we had an ambulance ride and overnight stay in the emergency room due to his severe peanut allergies. He ingested peanuts unknowingly and went into anaphylaxis shock. We loved the care we received at Primary and they truly cater to kids in every aspect.
  27. My cousins baby is a miracle. She started with contractions while she was visiting her relatives in Mexico. So she quickly went to a hospital over there. She didn't get really good care so my Mom went to go pick her up and took her to a children's hospital where they learned that if she would have come 5 more minutes later, her baby would have died because the baby was stuck in one of her hip bones. Because my Mom knew what to do, they arrived on time and got a emergency c-section and now her baby is already 11 years old.

  28. My daughter didn't have to visit the Children's Miracle Hospital, but when she was almost two years old she had a very severe asthma attack. We lived in a fair-sized town, but the hospital said they couldn't handle it and she was airlifted by MediVac to Oakland Children's Hospital which was 80 miles away. She's 11 now and perfectly fine, but it was touch and go for quite a few days. She's now even outgrown the asthma. So we were all very lucky.
    Digicats {at} Sbcglobal {dot} Net
  29. I delivered my triplets at 35 weeks and 1 day at Medical Center Hospital in odessa. The fact that it was a CMN hospital is why we choose it. The whole Nicu was amazing! only 2 of our little miracles stayed for 18 days. One of them actually came home with us when I was discharged. We are so lucky to gabber this in our area.
  30. My son, Avery, was born with a rare and fatal congenital heart defect known as Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS). He has undergone 3 open heart surgeries, an angioplasty, 2 occluders placed in his heart, had 2 strokes, on countless meds, numerous heart caths, and frequent trips to the cardiologist! We were told that it would be a miracle if he survived until his 1st birthday! Plus, he has cerebral palsy from his strokes, seizures, uses a G-tube for feedings, is in diapers,has communication difficulties, has Cornelia de Lange Syndrome (another rare syndrome)with autism, has the mental capacity of a toddler, and is the size of a 4 year old at almost 8 years old, and is the love of my life! I wouldn't change him for the world! If it weren't for our CMN hospital - Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis, Indiana, my son wouldn't be with us today! :)
  31. My late daughter, Heather was a patient at New Orleans Children's Hospital for 13 yrs. She had Cystic Fibrosis & Diabetes and we spent many days and nights with the wonderful nurses there.Children's Hospital treated Heather like she was special,which she was. She was a 2005 CMN poster child and drew 5 Christmas cards for the hospital. She passed away in July 2011 and I am lost without her. She was a beautiful,talented & courageous person and I was blessed to have her as my daughter.

Leave a Reply to lindseymwolters

Click here to cancel reply.