Our grandma made the best buttermilk brownies (also known as Texas Sheet Cake) – her recipe is a timeless classic that has been a family favorite for generations!
I decided to make a pan of her brownies but instead of topping it with her usual chocolate frosting, I added my favorite thing to compliment the brownies: peanut butter!
This creamy peanut butter frosting is lick-the-spoon good. I drizzled some melted chocolate on top and sprinkled Reese’s Peanut Butter Pieces all over . . . this is pretty much all my chocolate peanut butter dreams coming true!
Why is it called Texas Sheet Cake?
I have always wondered why they call it Texas Sheet Cake – I’ve heard that the recipe originated in Texas in the 1950’s and I have also heard that it’s called that because the cake is so huge and perfect for feeding a crowd the size of Texas.
Regardless of the name, it’s delicious!
How to make your own buttermilk
Buttermilk is not usually an ingredient that purchase and if you don’t have any on hand, don’t worry!! There is an easy way to make your own at home.
To make your own buttermilk, simply mix together 1/2 cup milk with 2 teaspoons white vinegar or lemon juice (either one will work). Let the milk sit for at least 5 minutes before adding it into the mixture. That’s it!
How to make Buttermilk Brownies
Buttermilk brownies are made a little differently than regular brownies . . . you start on the stove top!
- Bring butter, shortening, water, and cocoa to a boil
- Remove from heat and mix in flour and sugar
- Add in buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla – mix it all together
- Pour into a large sheet pan
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes
- Spread with peanut butter frosting and top with candies (if desired)
Items needed for making this recipe:
- Baking Sheet: This is my go-to sheet for any sheet pan recipes or cookies. I love this brand and use these all the time!
- Large Wooden Mixing Spoon: I love this brownie recipe because you don’t need a mixer – you can just mix it by hand with a wooden spoon. I love how large this one is – it gets the job done!
- Mixing Bowls: Everyone needs some good mixing bowls and these are the same ones that I have had since I got married 15 years ago. They last forever!
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Looking for more sheet pan recipes to feed a crowd? Try these:
- Sheet Pan Hawaiian Poke Cake
- Sheet Pan Funfetti Cookie Bars
- Sheet Pan Healthy Banana Cake
- Sheet Pan Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars
- Mom’s Famous Marshmallow Brownies
Frosting recipe from Center Cut Cook
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?
Watch as we make our Mom’s Famous Marshmallow Brownies!