Need a quick meal you can throw together and have on the table in a matter of minutes? These Avocado Chicken Bites are for you!
I love our Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pockets (that’s another fast dinner you need to try!), but sometimes I just want something a little healthier than a recipe full of cream cheese. Cue: these avocado chicken bites.
Are avocado chicken bites healthy?
With just a small sprinkle of cheese, lean protein from the shredded chicken, and tons of healthy fats from the avocado, this dinner is surprisingly on the healthier side of things.
This recipe calls for them served in a crescent roll, but you could cut down on even more calories by serving the chicken mixture on a sandwich thin, a whole-wheat tortilla, or a whole-wheat pita.
How to pick the best avocado:
I feel like living in California has helped me become a LOT better at picking avocados. Here are some tips when you’re looking to find just the right one:
- You can test an avocado’s ripeness by squeezing it gently. If you’re holding it in the palm of your hand, it should give ever so slightly when you press on it. If you squeeze it and it’s still very firm, it’s not yet ripe.
- Avocados can get overripe quickly. If you’re wanting to use an avocado right away (like within a day), go for a ripe one. If you won’t be using it for few days, buy an avocado that isn’t quite ripe yet.
- You can see an avocado’s ripeness by it’s coloring. Generally speaking, a ripe avocado is a much darker green (almost black). A vibrant green one won’t be ripe for at least a few days.
- Check beneath the stem. Another quick and easy way to check for ripeness is by removing the small portion of stem on the top of the avocado. If it’s green underneath, it’s ripe. If it’s dark and brown underneath, it’s overripe.
How to make avocado chicken bites:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together avocado, shredded chicken, cheese, and garlic salt. As you mix, the avocado will break down slightly, turning the mixture green, but that’s what it should look like. You can continue to mix until all the avocado is smooth, or you can leave a few larger pieces of avocado in the mixture. Set aside.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll out crescent dough. Cut into 12 small rectangles.
- Place a small spoonful of chicken mixture onto the edge of each rectangle. Fold the other side over the top, and press the edges together, sealing in the chicken mixture.
- After stuffing and folding each pastry, place on a baking sheet. Whisk egg and water together and brush over the top of each pastry.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Cool a few minutes before serving.
What to serve with Avocado Chicken Bites:
- Corn on the Cob
- Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Honey Lime Fresh Fruit Salad
- Parmesan Ranch Corn
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel?
See how to make another favorite avocado chicken recipe in the video below: