We used to shy away from any recipe that had yeast as an ingredient. That is until we made these 30 minute dinner rolls.
Once you make these amazing rolls, you’ll never go back to store bought. I loved that they didn’t take forever to make, and didn’t have to rise for hours on end.
And guess what? SUCCESS! My first batch of good-tasting, perfectly cooked rolls! I am so proud. And the really did only take about 30 minutes from start to finish. If you’re a first-time bread maker, this recipe is definitely for you.
They are the perfect side dish to any meal. We love them with a warm bowl of soup.
If you love homemade rolls, be sure to check out more of our roll and bread recipes, such as 3 Ingredient parmesan rolls, Instant Pot Rolls, Parkerhouse rolls, Homemade Orange Rolls, or copycat olive garden breadsticks.
ingredients needed in 30 minute rolls:
These delicious rolls are made from ingredients you may already have on hand. They are easy.
- Warm Water
- Vegetable Oil
- Active Dry Yeast
Related Article: Take your Easter or Thanksgiving ham to a whole new sweet and savory level with our Ham and Pine Bake!
How to make homemade rolls in 30 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm water, oil, yeast and sugar; let rest for 5-10 minutes or until frothy and bubbly. Our favorite mixer to use is the Bosch Mixer, but any mixer with a dough hook will work.
You can also make this recipe without a stand mixer – just use a big bowl, a large wooden spoon, and all your arm strength! (You’ll also need to knead the dough really well for about 5-10 minutes).
- With a dough hook, mix in salt, egg, and 2 cups of flour until combined.
- Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time (dough will be sticky). Spray your hands with cooking spray and shape the dough into 12 balls.
- After shaped, place on lightly greased cookie sheet or 9 x 13 inch pan and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until tops are lightly golden. These are so delicious served warm with butter.
Variations and add ins for these 30 minute rolls
- Cheddar Cheese – add in 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the dough for a cheesy taste. Sprinkle with more shredded cheese on top after baking.
- Parmesan Cheese – We love adding Parmesan cheese to these rolls. Sprinkle over top of rolls when removed from the oven.
- Garlic Rolls – Simply drizzle melted butter over the baked rolls and add a sprinkle of garlic salt on top of the melted butter.
- Honey Butter – We love to serve warm rolls with Honey Butter. You could even drizzle some over the warm cooked rolls.
We know that making bread can feel a little intimidating, but we have a few tips/tricks for troubleshooting. We’ve gone through a few of our FAQs and answered them below.
Why is my bread so dense?
Our 30-minute dinner rolls are pretty light and fluffy. If your rolls are dense, we would suggest three things.
- Next time, knead them more. Unlike cookies (where you want to mix them as little as possible), bread needs to be mixed well in order for the gluten to develop for nice, fluffy rolls. Don’t be afraid to let your mixer run for an extra minute or two to ensure light, fluffy roll.
- Make sure your yeast isn’t expired. If your yeast doesn’t start to froth (like in the picture above), it may be expired and your bread won’t rise.
- Don’t use too much flour. Your dough should still be sticky during step 4 (that’s why we suggest adding in the flour 1/2 cup at a time). If you live in a lower elevation, or somewhere with more humidity, you probably won’t need as much flour. Don’t feel like you need to add in all the flour the recipe suggests. Use your judgement.
Can I use butter instead of oil?
You can definitely use butter instead of oil in our 30 Minute Dinner Rolls. We recommend using the same amount of butter as oil, and melt it first. It will create more of a “sweet” roll, but it’s still delicious!
Can I substitute honey for sugar?
How do I use this dough for cinnamon rolls?
Follow the recipe through step 3, and then add in the flour as mentioned in step 4. Instead of shaping them into balls, roll out the dough and brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar.
Roll up the dough into a jelly-roll shape, then slice and place in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Let them rise for 10 minutes, then bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes (or until lightly browned on top).
Top the cinnamon rolls with frosting. We like to use buttercream or cream cheese frosting.
If you’re feeling more confident, you need to make our favorite homemade cinnamon roll recipe.
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel?
See how to make these rolls and other family favorites below.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPE IDEAS?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
MORE OF OUR FAVORITE RECIPES
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
want more roll recipes?
(adapted from: Real Mom Kitchen)